If you’re an American, there’s a 90% chance your Fourth of the July weekend was a doozy. If you’re one of my 5 or so international readers, you probably had a standard, summer weekend and this may not apply to you.
Whether your weekend was spent wearing a tank top that read, “Red, white, and booze,” or hopping between classy cookouts with your grown-up friends, you probably got into some business this weekend. By “business”, I mean any of the following:
- Beers on beers/wine on wine
- Anything referred to as a “dip”
- Anything referred to as a salad that is not, in fact, a salad
- Rediscovering the simple pleasure of the American hot dog, and accidentally having 5 of them
- Patriotic-themed desserts covered in/filled with whipped dairy (see top photo — crepes filled with farmers cheese, topped with berry compote)
Your body is most definitely craving some nourishment this week. Here is a simple meal plan to get you back on track to eating real food.
I picked these recipes because they’re quick, protein-rich, plant-based, and full of naturally detoxifying ingredients like lemon and herbs.
For breakfast, enjoy a filling bowl of Greek yogurt with flax cereal and blueberries or hard-boiled eggs and avocado toast. Make the eggs ahead of time so prep each day is under 5 minutes.
For lunch, buttery lunchbox chicken or Turkish bulgur salad, both served with a side of kale with tahini dressing. All lunch components can be made and packed ahead of time, so lunch is grab-and-go!
Dinner is made in 10-15 minutes: Pan-seared salmon with cucumber-yogurt sauce or shrimp taco salad. Quick, full of protein, and freaking delish.
There’s nothing more satisfying than having several days in a row of solid, healthy, home-cooked goodness. Do your body a favor and flood it with goodness this week. Double the amount of proteins if cooking for two. ❤
- 1 dozen eggs
- 4 avocados
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 cucumbers
- 6 lemons
- 4 limes
- 2 red onions
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 lbs. kale
- Large bag of spinach
- Dill, basil, mint, cilantro
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 2 6 oz. filets of salmon
- 4 oz. crumbed feta
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese
- Full-fat Greek yogurt (large container)
- Package of bulgur
- 1 lb. grass-fed butter
- Chia seeds
- Golden raisins
- Jar of olives
- Local honey
- Nature’s Path Cereal (I like Blueberry Cinnamon Flax)
- Sprouted grain bread
- Organic tortilla chips (optional)
- Multigrain pita chips (optional)
Breakfast: 2 Hard-Boiled Eggs, Avocado Toast
Breakfast: Greek Yogurt with Nature’s Path Organic Cereal, blueberries, chia seeds, honey
Dinner: 10-Minute Taco Salad (with Shrimp)