VEGETARIAN | DAIRY-FREE
There’s a magical intersection in food, where comfort food meets superfood. It’s my happy place. I love finding ways to create familiar flavors with supercharged ingredients. This is easy for lunch and dinner, when I have time to prep — for lunch, the night before, and for dinner, to-order.
Breakfast has to be quick, easy, hopefully cheap, and ideally, portable. This is a tall order — and it’s especially difficult to meet all those criteria and make something healthy and enjoyable to eat.
It was challenging — until I discovered this magical vehicle called sprouted grain toast, which you can quickly top with superfood-y ingredients to create a filling, nutritious meal. Add a side of already-cooked hard-boiled eggs, and you’re ready to GO.
Sprouted grain toasts and hard-boiled eggs are my breakfast staples. I boil and peel all my eggs for the week on Sunday night, so on weekday mornings, all that’s left to do is toast and schmear things on bread. Easy peasy.
I’ve already shared my avocado toast, which I have at least once a week — topped with feta cheese, bee pollen, raw honey, and lime juice:
Side note: This week, I discovered that popping the avocado toast in the toaster oven on a low temp after you’ve added all the ingredients melds the flavors together and makes them SING! Try it (just don’t over-do it).
I mix it up throughout the week with this comfort food goodness: the peanut butter, banana, and honey toast of your childhood, with a few nutrition-boosting changes —
- Swap white or wheat bread for sprouted grain for a boost of fiber and powerful micronutrients — I like Trader Joe’s brand ($3.99 at the Nashville store — much cheaper than the $6-7 loaves at Whole Foods!)
- Swap pasteurized honey for raw, local honey for disease-fighting and allergy-fighting power
- Swap sugary, artificial peanut butter for real food, natural peanut butter (without weird oils or added sugar) — Trader Joe’s has good, inexpensive, crunchy and smooth options
- Add chia seeds for a boost of omega 3s, magnesium, fiber, protein, and more!
Try this toast with 2 hard-boiled eggs for a quick, grab-and-go comfort/superfood breakfast!
- 1 piece sprouted grain bread
- 2 tbsp. no-sugar peanut butter
- ½ banana, sliced
- 1 tsp. raw, local honey
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- Toast bread. Schmear with peanut butter. Arrange banana slices on top of toast.
- Drizzle honey across toast and sprinkle with chia seeds. Enjoy.