VEGETARIAN | PALEO | GLUTEN-FREE
Time from start to finish: 15 minutes
Difficulty level: easy peasy
I just want to high five a million angels a la Liz Lemon:
These dark chocolate bark bites are made in heaven — made with magnesium-rich 72%+ organic dark chocolate, heart-healthy nuts, and antioxidant-filled dried superfruits. What better way to end a meal?
These are simple enough for a lunchbox dessert, but elegant enough for to serve at a dinner party. They’re gluten-free, paleo, free of added sugar — without even trying to be.
For that reason especially, I consider these to be a major win. They’re paleo, sure, but they don’t taste like disappointment and coconut flour, as most paleo desserts do. They taste like heaven. They’re easy to whip up on any random weeknight for a healthy, sweet treat.
Speaking of dinner parties — we recently had some friends over for dinner, and let them customize their own chocolate bites before the meal. We popped them in while we ate our main course, then enjoyed them for dessert right after. As Ina would say, “How easy is that?”
- 8 oz. organic dark chocolate, 70% or higher (I’m a huge fan of Green&Black’s 85% for this)
- Assorted nuts and dried fruits, like:
- Chopped almonds
- Chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- Chopped macadamia nuts
- Chopped pecans
- Chopped dried mango, pineapple, and papaya
- Chopped dried tart cherries
- Dried Goji berries
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Etc. etc.
- Coarse sea salt – makes everything better
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then continue to microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time, stirring between each time, until melted.
- Use a spoon to drop small dollops of chocolate onto the parchment paper. If you drop them from above, the chocolate will settle into circular discs. I like to make mine about 1.5 inches in diameter — but do you booboo.
- Sprinkle each disc with your toppings of choice (and sea salt — you have no choice there).
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes, until chocolate has set.